Churchill, Donegal Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water replacing ageing water mains in Churchill, Co. Donegal to improve security of supply for local customers and to reduce leakage.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Donegal County Council, will soon begin works to replace ageing water mains in Churchill, Co. Donegal. The works are scheduled to commence on 18 June 2018. These water mains renewal works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
What is involved?
The works will involve the decommissioning and replacement of approximately 2.7 kilometres of ageing water mains in the townland of Tirkillin, Co. Donegal.
The existing pipes will be replaced with new modern high density polyethylene plastic pipes. The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customer’s water supply.
These works will be carried out by Farran’s Construction Ltd. on behalf of Irish Water. The works are planned to commence on the 18 June 2018 and are expected to take approximately 6 weeks to complete.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
Affects of works
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- Traffic management will be in place during this time. Local and emergency traffic will be maintained at all times.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified and customers can phone Irish Water on 1850 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regret any inconvenience these essential works cause. Details of work in the area will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section.
Further information on Irish Water’s Leakage Reduction Programme is also available on the Irish Water website www.water.ie.