Castletownbere Trunk Water Main Rehabilitation Project - Phase 1
Irish Water, in partnership with Cork County Council is commencing Phase 1 of the replacement of a problematic trunk water main between Ardgroom and Eyeries, Cork to improve security of supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017- 2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network. The benefits of this programme are:
- Replacing old pipes to reduce drinking water lost by leakage
- Fixing leaks to reduce disruption from bursts and outages
- Improving water quality
- Delivering savings on operation and maintenance of the network
Details of the project
The Phase 1 works involve the replacement of 1.6 kilometre section of problematic water mains with polyethylene (plastic) pipes which supply the Ardgroom area
The programme to replace the section of water main will commence in mid-May. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Ward and Burke Construction and are expected to be completed within 8 weeks.
What are the benefits of the works?
The benefits of the leakage reduction works include:
- A Reliable Water Supply – Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
- Reduced Leaks – Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
- Improved Operation and Maintenance – These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Will customers be affected by the works?
Throughout Phase 1 there will be no direct impact on traffic in the area. Traffic management may be in place for a short time when works reach the junction of the existing/new pipe and the R571 where a connection is required.
The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours’ notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.