Carrigtohill Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade
This €12.3 million project to upgrade the existing Carrigtohill Wastewater Treatment Plant was necessary to cater for an increased population equivalent of 30,000 while providing scope for future growth. The plant is now treating waste from Carrigtohill as well as from other wastewater treatment works including Castlemartyr, Cloyne and Killeagh.
The deployment of innovative activated granular sludge technology (AGS) at the plant means that wastewater can now be treated within a third of the footprint of conventional wastewater treatment processes. AGS technology reduces the volume of sludge produced and chemicals used during the operational phase of a plant, thus achieving a more environmentally and economically sustainable wastewater treatment solution.
- Ensures treated effluent complies with EPA standards
- Increased wastewater treatment capacity
- Resolved odour and noise issues
- Allowed for future growth in population and economic development
- Construction of a wastewater treatment plant for an increased population equivalent of 30,000
- Provision for phased extensions to the plant in the future for 45,000 and 60,000 Population Equivalent (PE)
- Operation of the existing wastewater treatment works, pumping stations and rising mains in Carrigtohill