Black Mill Street Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Replacement of ageing water mains in Kilkenny City to improve security of water supply, improve water quality and reduce high levels of leakage.
The works involve the replacement of 500 metres of old cast iron water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes in Kilkenny City.
The works will take place in two sections beginning the week of 14 January along Dean Street where 400m of new water main will be laid. The works will continue on Black Mill Street where a further 100m of problematic water main will be renewed.
The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
These works are being carried out as part of Uisce Éireann’s national Leakage Reduction Programme and will be carried out on behalf of Uisce Éireann by Coffey Northumbrian Ltd. It is expected that the works will be completed by May 2019.
Improved supply of water to Kilkenny city centre
- The new water mains to be installed as part of this project will be larger diameter than the old mains and are designed to allow increased water supply to the city centre area
- These works to improve availability of water supply to the city centre area are a continuation of the works already completed in Patrick Street in 2018
A reliable water supply
- Replacing the ageing water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacing the old water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Water Quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the water network and replacing them with new plastic pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers.
- Traffic management will be in place throughout the course of the works but twoway through traffic will be maintained at all times.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified and customers can phone 1800 278 278 with any questions.
Uisce Éireann regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements cause. Details of any water outages relating to this project will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section.
For more information, view the national Leakage Reduction Programme page.