Belvelly and Ticknock Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Uisce Éireann, in partnership with Cork County Council, has replaced problematic water mains in Belvelly and Ticknock, Great Island, to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
These works were carried out as part of Uisce Éireann’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The works took place in two parts. The first phase in Belvelly was from Belvelly bridge approximately 2.2 km along the L2989 toward Ballard Hill. The second phase was opposite Ticknock Retail Park for approximately 400m toward Hilltop Park. The works were carried out on behalf of Uisce Éireann by Coffey Northumbrian Ltd.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Water Quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network and replacing them with new pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of over 2.6 km of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work