Foxford Sewerage Scheme Network and Wastewater Treatment Plants
This project provides wastewater treatment for each town ensuring compliance with national legislation, licences from the Environmental Protection Agency and ensuring the integrity of local rivers and the marine environment. A total investment of €19 million was required to achieve environmental compliance and provide for the existing population and future needs of the towns.
The Killala Sewerage Scheme stops untreated wastewater being discharged directly into Killala Bay. The practice of discharging untreated wastewater to the bay is no acceptable and Irish Water has rectified this problem in conjunction with Mayo County Council by constructing a new Wastewater Treatment Plant to ensure that effluent discharging to Killala Bay meets appropriate discharge standards.
The Foxford and Charlestown sewerage schemes provide a new and upgraded treatment plants for the towns to meet the current populations and will provide for future growth in the areas.
The new and upgraded wastewater treatment plants bring benefits to Killala, Foxford and Charlestown in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all.
- The new Wastewater Treatment Plants will bring benefits to Killala, Foxford and Charlestown in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all
- The proposed WWTPs will improve the water quality in the receiving waters
- Cleaner water will enhance amenity value and act as a platform for social and economic development
- The new pipes, pumping station and wastewater treatment plant have all been sized to accommodate an increase in the local population and will facilitate future growth in the area
- The project will ensure that the water quality standards set down by regulatory bodies will be achieved
- Construction of a new wastewater treatment plant (WwTP) that will serve a population equivalent of 1,800
- Construction of a new pumping station and upgrade to the existing pumping station to include a storm water tank
- Sewer pipelines to bring untreated wastewater to the WWTP and treated effluent to the existing outfall
- Construction of a new 3,500PE WwTP on a greenfield site
- Construction of a main pumping station at the existing WwTP site and provision of storm water storage
- Upgrade works on the existing collection network including installation of new gravity sewers and rehabilitation of existing sewers
- Installation of one new network pumping station and upgrade works at three existing network pumping stations
- Installation of new rising mains
- Upgrade of the existing WWTP to serve a population equivalent of 3,400
- Installation of new gravity sewers and rehabilitation of existing sewers
- Installation of a new outfall to the Mullaghanoe River