Barrington Street Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Uisce Éireann, in partnership with Limerick City and County Council, has replaced problematic water mains in Barrington Street, Limerick City, to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
The works involved the replacement of over 400 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace the water mains in Barrington Street commenced on 13 January 2020. These works were carried out as part of Uisce Éireann’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works took place between the junction of Barrington Street and Quinlan Street, continue up Barrington Street, looping Pery Street and returning to the junction of Upper Hartstonge Street and O’Connell Street. The works also involved laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side were lead these were replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Uisce Éireann by Shareridge Ltd.
- Barrington Street will be restricted to one lane for the duration of the works with no access from O’Connell Avenue. There will be no vehicular access to Barrington Street from Newenham Street.
- Vehicles wishing to access Barrington Street will do so via a diversion from Hartstonge Street/Perry Square where traffic will flow back to O’Connell Avenue.
- Public transport is re-routed through Hartstonge Street in place of Barrington Street for the duration of the works.
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Affects of Works
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. Traffic management may be in place during this time. Local and emergency traffic will be maintained at all times.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified directly and customers can phone Uisce Éireann on 1800 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Uisce Éireann regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements may cause. Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section of the Uisce Éireann website.