Ballyvourney/Ballymakeera Wastewater Treatment Plant
Irish Water, working in partnership with Cork County Council, is constructing a new wastewater treatment plant in Ballyvourney/Ballymakeera, Co. Cork. EPS Group Limited has been commissioned to deliver this project on our behalf. This project is part of a €27 million investment in the Cork Mid-West area and will include the construction of a new wastewater treatment plant and associated infrastructure in this area. This will improve the wastewater treatment quality and capacity and ensure compliance with wastewater discharge regulations.
- End the discharge of poorly treated effluent.
- Improve water quality in the receiving waters.
- Enhance local amenities and a platform for social and economic development.
- All new infrastructure is sized to accommodate future population growth of the villages and the surrounding Cork Mid-West areas.
- Ensure compliance with the Urban Wastewater Treatment Directive and EPA Wastewater Discharge Licencing.
What is involved?
- A new wastewater treatment plant which will serve a population of approximately 2,600 people.
- Construction of an outfall pipe and upgrade works to the existing pumping station and new rising main.
- Decommissioning and demolition of the existing septic tank.
- Works are scheduled to commence by the end of November 2019
- These works include earthworks and the construction of the new WWTP, scheduled to commence in November 2019
- The construction of the pumping station and river crossing, upgrades to the sewer network are scheduled to commence in Q1 2020
- Irish Water anticipates that these works will be completed by Q2 2021