Ballyquirke Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Cork County Council, is replacing problematic water mains in Ballyquirke, Killeagh, County Cork to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017- 2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network. The benefits of this programme are:
- Replacing old pipes to reduce drinking water lost by leakage
- Fixing leaks to reduce disruption from bursts and outages
- Improving water quality
- Delivering savings on operation and maintenance of the network
The works involve the replacement of approximately 1.8 kilometres of problematic water mains with polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace the water mains in Ballyquirke will commence on 22 March 2021. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Coffey Eng Tec Limited and are expected to be completed within approximately 8 weeks.
What are the benefits of the works?
The benefits of the leakage reduction works include:
• A Reliable Water Supply – Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
• Reduced Leaks – Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
• Improved Operation and Maintenance – These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Will customers be affected by the works?
In order to safely and efficiently carry out the water main rehabilitation works a road closure will be in place for the duration. Local access will be maintained.
The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and work crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause
For more information on the Leakage Reduction Programme please visit www.water.ie.