Main Street, Ashford Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Wicklow County Council, has replaced old problematic water mains in Main Street, Ashford, Co. Wicklow to provide a more reliable water supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
The works involved the replacement of approximately 2624 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace the water mains in Ashford commenced in late August 2020 and was completed December 2020. These works were being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of rehabilitation works took place along Main Street, Ashford.
The works also involved laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these were replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works were carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Ward and Burke Ltd.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Affects of works
- To facilitate the safe delivery of the works, there will be some short-term local road closures and traffic management in place during delivery. The community will be notified of this in advance. Alternative routes will be available and diversions will be clearly sign-posted. Local and emergency access will be maintained at all times.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified directly and customers can phone Irish Water on 1850 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements may cause. Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section of the Irish Water website.