Roundstone Water Main Replacement
Irish Water replacing ageing water mains in Roundstone, Co. Galway to improve security of supply for local customers, improve water pressure and reduce leakage
Irish Water, working in partnership with Galway County Council, will begin works to replace ageing water mains in Roundstone, Co. Galway. The works are scheduled to commence on the 5 April 2018. These water mains renewal works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
The Leakage Reduction Programme will see over €500 million invested over four years to reduce leakage and remove problematic pipes from the public water network. These works will help to ensure that we have a clean, safe and reliable water supply now and into the future to support our growing population and economy.
- Involves the decommissioning and replacement of over 160 metres of old and damaged cast iron and polyethylene (plastic) water mains
- Works will take place along Fuscia Lane from the R341 to Fairgreen Cottages
- Involves laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Works will commence on 5th April 2018 and are expected to take approximately 6 weeks to complete
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacing the old water mains with new water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacement of old water mains and service connections in poor condition will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Water Quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the water network and replacing them with new plastic pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future