Spiddal Sewerage Scheme
This project is needed to stop untreated wastewater being discharged directly into Galway Bay. This practice is unsustainable and threatens the amenity value of the local bathing waters, particularly Trá na mBan and Ceibh an Spidéil.
The practice of discharging untreated wastewater to the sea is no longer acceptable and Irish Water intends to rectify this problem in conjunction with Galway County Council by constructing a new Wastewater Treatment Plant to ensure that wastewater discharging into outer Galway Bay meets appropriate discharge standards. The new Wastewater Treatment Plant will bring benefits to Spiddal in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all. This project will stop the discharge of over 600 wheelie bins of raw sewage into Galway Bay per day.
What are the benefits of this project?
- The new Wastewater Treatment Plant will bring benefits to Spiddal in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all.
- The proposed Wastewater Treatment Plant will improve the water quality in the receiving waters of Galway Bay.
- Cleaner water will enhance Spiddal’s amenity value and act as a platform for social and economic development.
- The new pipes, pumping station and wastewater treatment plant have all been sized to accommodate an increase in the local population and will facilitate future growth in the area.
- The project will assist with ensuring that the water quality standards set down by regulatory bodies will be achieved.
What is involved as part of this project?
- Construction of a new wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) that will serve a population equivalent of 1000 which equates to stopping over 600 wheelie bins of raw sewage being discharged to Galway Bay per day.
- A new below-ground pumping station including pumps, mechanical plant and a storm water storage tank.
- Sewer pipelines to bring untreated wastewater to the WWTP and treated water to the outfall pipeline.
- A new outfall pipeline to discharge treated wastewater from the new WWTP to the existing marine outfall.
- Spiddal, Galway