Skibbereen Regional Water Supply Scheme Upgrade
The purpose of the Skibbereen Regional Water Supply Scheme is to provide a safe, secure and reliable supply of drinking water. Skibbereen Regional Water Supply Scheme (RWSS) is currently supplied with drinking water from five separate water treatment plants. At present three of these, namely Drimoleague WTP, Skeagh WTP (near Schull) and Ballinlough WTP (near Leap), are providing inadequate levels of treatment and are consequently included on the EPA’s Remedial Action List.
Both Schull high level and Leap supply areas are currently vulnerable to supply outages in the event of a burst on the network or in the event of source or treatment issues at the plants. There is currently no treated water storage on Sherkin Island, so the supply is vulnerable to outages. Furthermore, sections of the existing water supply pipes at Drimoleague, Castledonovan, Schull, Leap and Bluid have reached the end of their expected lifespan and require replacement.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Improved quality of the water being supplied to the consumer
- Increased security of supply to the consumers across the scheme
- Drimoleague, Schull & Leap will be removed from the EPA’s remedial action list (RAL)
What is involved as part of this project?
- The existing water treatment plants at Ballyhilty and Lake Cross will be retained and upgraded
- The existing Drimoleague water treatment plant, Skeagh water treatment plant and Ballinlough water treatment plant will be decommissioned
- The construction of approximately 40km of new water mans
- Construction of new treated water storage reservoirs in Drimoleague, Schull, Leap and Sherkin
News and Updates
Where will the works take place?
The works proposed as part of this project will take place in the following locations:
- Ballyhilty Water Treatment Plant
- Lake Cross Water Treatment Plant
- Sherkin Island
What are the next steps?
- Works are due to commence in the coming weeks
- The project is expected to take approximately18 months to complete
- The Project Team will ensure the local community is notified in advance of any works commencing
- Skibbereen, Co. Cork
- In Progress
- €28.5 million