Shanakiel Water Main Upgrade
Upgrading the water supply network serving Churchfield, Harbour View and Shanakiel
Irish Water, working in partnership with Cork City Council, is upgrading the water supply network serving Churchfield, Harbour View and Shanakiel. This project includes replacement of existing water mains and the construction of two new pumping stations. Once complete, this project will improve security of supply by replacing and upgrading old pipework in Cork City’s water supply network.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Safeguard the water supply to Churchfield, Harbour View, Shanakiel, and the western side of Cork City
- Continue to provide a clean, reliable and safe water supply to the area and Cork City
- Facilitate future growth in Cork City
What is involved as part of this project?
- Replacement of the Shanakiel rising and distribution mains
- Replacement of over 1.7km of old cast iron water mains
- Construction of two new pump stations, one at Shanakiel and one at Harbour View
- Upgrades to the trunk main between the Lee Road water treatment plant and the distribution mains
- Safety upgrades to the entrance to the Shanakiel reservoir, with better visibility for vehicles accessing and leaving the site
- Shanakiel Road, Co. Cork