Ring-Helvick Water Supply Scheme
Irish Water has completed works to improve drinking water for over 700 people in the Ring Helvick area in Co Waterford
Irish Water, working in partnership with Waterford County Council, has completed the Ring-Helvick Water Supply Scheme project. This project extended the Dungarvan Water Supply to the Ring Helvick area and included the construction of two new reservoirs, pumping station and over 8 kilometres of new water mains.
The project was needed to provide safe and secure drinking water for businesses and residents in the Ring Helvick area. Previously, the area was served by four separate water sources, which presented deficiencies in water availability and insufficient water treatment facilities, leading to a boil water notice for certain consumers and elevated levels of Trihalomethanes (THMs) for the Ring Supply.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Address water quality risks for the supply
- Increase security of the drinking water supply to customers in the Ring Helvick area, in particular during peak summer demands
- Safeguard the water supply to this area by increasing the level of storage capacity
- Facilitate removal of the Ring Water Supply scheme from the EPA’s Remedial Action List (RAL)
What is involved as part of this project?
- Constructed two new reservoirs to serve the high level area served by the Ring-Helvick Scheme.
- Installed over 8 kilometres of watermain to connect Ring-Helvick and the adjoining water schemes of Old Parish, Roberts Cross and Leagh Cross.
- Constructed a new pumping station at the Springmount pumping station at Clogherane, Dungarvan.
- Incorporated the existing reservoir tanks at Seaview into the new water supply scheme.
Ring-Helvick water supply scheme with treatment at Seaview Water Treatment Plant; Loskeran / Old Parish water supply scheme; Robert’s Cross water supply scheme; and Leagh’s Cross water supply scheme.
- The Ring-Helvick Water Supply Scheme is now being fed from the Upper and Lower Reservoirs, with Dungarvan as the source.