Lower Liffey Valley Regional Sewerage Scheme
This €23.3 million project will almost double the capacity of the existing Leixlip Wastewater Treatment Plant and will ensure water in the Lower Liffey Valley meets EPA standards.
Leixlip is one of Ireland's fastest growing towns and it requires a sewerage scheme and upgrade of the existing wastewater treatment plant to cater for its expanding population and locally-based commercial activities. This scheme will protect the local environment, improve water quality and help secure jobs in the area, including those at Intel, which employs approx. 4,500 people.
Location Leixlip, Co. Kildare
Investment €23.3 million
What are the benefits of this project?
- Ensure treated effluent complies with EPA standards
- Ensure the water quality in the Lower Liffey Valley meets regulatory standards
- Allow for future population growth and further economic development in the area
What is involved in this project?
- Upgrading the capacity of the existing wastewater treatment plant in Leixlip from 80,000 population equivalent (PE) to 150,000(PE).
- Upgrading existing wastewater treatment plant to provide a hydraulic capacity of 48,500 m³/day.