Letterkenny Sewerage Scheme
This project represents a further step in the continued delivery of improvements to the wastewater infrastructure of County Donegal.
Irish Water, in partnership with Donegal County Council, commenced works on the third phase of the Letterkenny Sewerage Scheme on 3 September 2018. The works are expected to take approximately 18 months to complete.
The first phase of this project, which was was carried out from 2004 to 2006, included improvement works to trunk sections of the existing wastewater collection network. The second phase was undertaken between 2010 and 2012 and included the construction of a new wastewater treatment plant and a new sludge hub centre.
News and Updates
- Pipe laying works will continue at Pearse Road between 8am and 6:30pm from Monday 20th May to Friday 24th May 2019.
- The road will be managed on a single flow, one-way system at the works area. Extensive Traffic Management will be in place on the approaches and in the town area.
- Advanced warning signs are in place to notify the public of the upcoming works.
- Pipe laying will continue on Circular Road at approximately the Glencar Shopping Centre between 8am and 5:30pm, from Monday 20th May to Friday 24th May 2019.
- The road will be managed on a single flow, traffic light system at the
- Advanced warning signs are in place to notify the public of the upcoming
Oliver Plunkett Road
- Pipe laying works will continue at Oliver Plunkett Road from 8.00am to 5.30pm Tuesday 7 May to Friday 10 May 2019
- A stop/go traffic system will be in place
- Advanced warning VMS signs are in place to notify the public of the upcoming works
Where will the project take place?
In order to minimise disruption the works will be carried out in short sections. The first phase of the works will take part along the following roads including:
- High Road | New Line Road | Beechwood Road | Ballyraine Industrial Estate to Middle Road/Ramelton Road Junction | Gortlee Road
From January 2019
From January 2019 it will be necessary to carry out works in some sections of the following streets and roads including:
- Circular Road | St Oliver Plunkett Road | Rockhill Road | Glencar Road | Convent Road | New Brook Court | New Line Road | Charlie Daly Terrace Port Road | Church Lane Oldtown Road | Gortlee Road | Rosemount | Pearse Road | Magherannan Heights
What traffic management measures will be in place?
During the works every effort will be made to minimise disruption. Residents and businesses may be impacted during these works as we may need to:
- Restrict access to parking
- Restrict traffic to one lane or close certain sections of roads to ensure that the work is carried out in the safest way possible
- From time to time carry out some works in the evening, at night or at the weekends in order to minimise the impact on traffic flow
- In order to minimise disruption works at key locations around Letterkenny Town will be restricted during school holidays
What are the benefits of this project?
- Increase the capacity of the wastewater collection network to cater for existing residential and commercial developments.
- Reduce the incidences of sewer flooding in the area.
- Improve the water quality of the River Swilly by reducing the frequency and volume of untreated wastewater overflows from the wastewater collection network to the river.
- Enable the long term social and economic development of Letterkenny Town.
What is involved as part of this project?
- Construction of new foul/combined sewer pipelines and the rehabilitation of existing foul/combined sewer pipelines in Letterkenny Town.
- Construction of two interceptor sewers to direct flows away from the central town area.
- Removal of seven storm water overflows therefore eliminating point source pollution of the River Swilly.
- Construction of gravity sewers to facilitate the removal of defective pumping stations including Brookfield Heights and Hazelwood Drive Pumping Stations.
- Construction of a gravity sewer along Gortlee and Middle Road to divert flows from the existing Ashlawn sewer.
- De-commissioning of the existing wastewater treatment systems at New Brook Court and at Crievesmith Park.
- Replacement of existing defective sewers and manholes.
- Construction of 700 metres of culvert along Circular Road to resolve ongoing storm flooding (in partnership with Donegal County Council Roads Department).
- Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- In Progress
- €5.6 million