Letterkenny Sewerage Scheme
This project represents a further step in the continued delivery of improvements to the wastewater infrastructure of County Donegal.
Irish Water, in partnership with Donegal County Council, commenced works on the third phase of the Letterkenny Sewerage Scheme on 3 September 2018. The works are expected to take approximately 18 months to complete.
The first phase of this project, which was was carried out from 2004 to 2006, included improvement works to trunk sections of the existing wastewater collection network. The second phase was undertaken between 2010 and 2012 and included the construction of a new wastewater treatment plant and a new sludge hub centre.
News and Updates
Upcoming sewer works
R250/ Oldtown Road:
- Pipe-laying is now complete on the R250/Oldtown Road.
- Traffic management has ceased on this road since midday 13 November.
Crieve Road/Rockhill Road
- Road closure commenced on midday 13 November 2019 with local access only.
- Works commenced at Knocknamona Road on 13 November. Traffic management is in place. This involves two-way traffic control, controlled by traffic lights.
Details of upcoming works:
Letterkenny to Veagh
- Traffic management will be in place on N13 Dual Carriageway between N13/N14 Manor Roundabout and Dry Arch Roundabout with two lanes open until 10.00am each day and then reduced to one lane after 10.00am.
- Road closure L-5422 -1 will be in place.
- Traffic lights will be in place on R247 in Rathmullan.
- Traffic management will be in place on the Galdonagh to Dunduffsfort road (L-1214-3).
- Road closure will be in place on L-5084-1.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Increase the capacity of the wastewater collection network to cater for existing residential and commercial developments.
- Reduce the incidences of sewer flooding in the area.
- Improve the water quality of the River Swilly by reducing the frequency and volume of untreated wastewater overflows from the wastewater collection network to the river.
- Enable the long term social and economic development of Letterkenny Town.
What is involved as part of this project?
- Construction of new foul/combined sewer pipelines and the rehabilitation of existing foul/combined sewer pipelines in Letterkenny Town.
- Construction of two interceptor sewers to direct flows away from the central town area.
- Removal of seven storm water overflows therefore eliminating point source pollution of the River Swilly.
- Construction of gravity sewers to facilitate the removal of defective pumping stations including Brookfield Heights and Hazelwood Drive Pumping Stations.
- Construction of a gravity sewer along Gortlee and Middle Road to divert flows from the existing Ashlawn sewer.
- De-commissioning of the existing wastewater treatment systems at New Brook Court and at Crievesmith Park.
- Replacement of existing defective sewers and manholes.
- Construction of 700 metres of culvert along Circular Road to resolve ongoing storm flooding (in partnership with Donegal County Council Roads Department).
- Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- In Progress
- €5.6 million