Letterkenny Sewerage Scheme
This project represents a further step in the continued delivery of improvements to the wastewater infrastructure of County Donegal.
Irish Water, in partnership with Donegal County Council, commenced works on the third phase of the Letterkenny Sewerage Scheme on 3 September 2018. The works are expected to take approximately 18 months to complete.
The first phase of this project, which was was carried out from 2004 to 2006, included improvement works to trunk sections of the existing wastewater collection network. The second phase was undertaken between 2010 and 2012 and included the construction of a new wastewater treatment plant and a new sludge hub centre.
News and Updates
Upcoming sewer works
Crieve Road/Rockhill Road
- Road closure will be in place with local access only
- Works are due to be completed on Knocknamona Road this week with temporary reinstatement due to be completed by 2 December, 2019
Christmas Programme of Works:
- No sewerage work will be carried out in Letterkenny town centre between 16 November and 13 January. The only work will be on Crieve Road, where a road closure is in place, however local access will be maintained at all times.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Increase the capacity of the wastewater collection network to cater for existing residential and commercial developments.
- Reduce the incidences of sewer flooding in the area.
- Improve the water quality of the River Swilly by reducing the frequency and volume of untreated wastewater overflows from the wastewater collection network to the river.
- Enable the long term social and economic development of Letterkenny Town.
What is involved as part of this project?
- Construction of new foul/combined sewer pipelines and the rehabilitation of existing foul/combined sewer pipelines in Letterkenny Town.
- Construction of two interceptor sewers to direct flows away from the central town area.
- Removal of seven storm water overflows therefore eliminating point source pollution of the River Swilly.
- Construction of gravity sewers to facilitate the removal of defective pumping stations including Brookfield Heights and Hazelwood Drive Pumping Stations.
- Construction of a gravity sewer along Gortlee and Middle Road to divert flows from the existing Ashlawn sewer.
- De-commissioning of the existing wastewater treatment systems at New Brook Court and at Crievesmith Park.
- Replacement of existing defective sewers and manholes.
- Construction of 700 metres of culvert along Circular Road to resolve ongoing storm flooding (in partnership with Donegal County Council Roads Department).
- Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- In Progress
- €5.6 million