Clarecastle Sewerage Scheme
Irish Water is working to end the unacceptable practice of untreated wastewater being discharged to the River Fergus and the Shannon Estuary.
Irish Water plans to deliver an improvement to the wastewater network in Clarecastle. Wastewater from the public sewer network in Clarecastle is currently discharged untreated into the River Fergus and the Shannon Estuary. The discharge of untreated wastewater is unacceptable, threatens water quality and detracts from the amenity value of the River Fergus and the greater Shannon Estuary.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Improved water quality in the River Fergus in compliance with national and EU regulations relating to the treatment of wastewater
- Enhanced environmental amenity of Clarecastle
- Protection of recreational fishing waters
- Provision for future development within the Clarecastle area.
What is involved as part of this project?
- Installation of new pumps and associated equipment at the existing Quay Road Pumping Station
- New sewage main (approx. 1,900m rising main) to transfer sewage from existing Quay Road Pumping Station for treatment at existing Clareabbey Wastewater Treatment Plant
- The existing outfall will continue to be used as a storm overflow
- Testing and commissioning of the works
Details of the planned works
- Upgrades to the existing pumping station required to transfer the wastewater to the new wastewater treatment plant will consist of internal works only
- A new rising main (1,900m) will be installed in a trench which will be excavated progressively along the length of Quay Road, Barrack Street and the Ennis Road, towards the site of the existing treatment plant before the Clareabbey Roundabout
- Works at the Clareabbey WwTP will take place within the existing site boundary
- All works will be carried out to Irish Water’s strict health and safety standards
- The project is in the design and pre-planning stage
For further information you can contact the Project Team at ClareUWW@water.ie.
- Clarecastle, Co. Clare
- In Progress