Castlemaine Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade
Irish Water has completed installation of 240m of sewer pipe in the N70 at Castlemaine, Co. Kerry
The wastewater infrastructure in Castlemaine is no longer suitable to meet the needs of the area. Wastewater from the town currently runs to a septic tank for treatment prior to discharge to the River Maine. This septic tank can only serve a population of approximately 250 people. Working in partnership with Kerry County Council, Irish Water is building a new wastewater treatment plant and upgrading sewer network to replace the existing system.
The new wastewater treatment plant and network will facilitate future growth in the village.
The new plant will treat wastewater to a significantly higher standard, and will ensure that Castlemaine complies with the requirements of both the Urban Waste Water Treatment Regulations and the EPA waste water discharge authorisation.
Project progress (1 November 2019 – 15 November 2019)
The new sewer pipe has been laid under the N70, and the road surface has been reinstated. Minor finishing works are now required before we can move off the N70, and we expect that these will be completed in the coming week. VMS information boards have been updated and Castlemaine businesses are open as usual.
What are the next steps?
- All of the necessary approvals and legal permissions are in place, and we have begun work on the WwTP site.
- We now need to work in the road to complete the sewer pipe replacement. The pipe will be laid under the N70, from Castlemaine Bridge to the intersection with the R561. Stop/ go traffic management will be in place throughout these works.
- Kerry County Council has granted us permission to work on the road for 10 weeks, from 30 September to 8 December 2019. We will try to complete works sooner than this. We will provide weekly updates while the traffic management remains in place.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Protection of the environment, specifically the water quality in the River Maine and Castlemaine Harbour
- Legal compliance, as the quality of treated effluent will comply with regulatory requirements and Castlemaine’s EPA authorisation
- Capacity for future growth, as the plant will provide wastewater treatment for future growth in Castlemaine and can be expanded further in future if required
What is involved as part of this project?
- Build a new wastewater treatment plant at Castlemaine. The plant will serve a population of 750 people, and can be further expanded at a later date if required
- Build a new pumping station with storm water storage.
- Replace over 600m of sewer pipe
- Build a new inlet pumping station and storm water storage at the outfall to the River Maine
- Install pumping and a refurbished header manhole at the outfall to the River Maine
- Castlemaine, Co. Kerry
- In Progress