Carlow Sludge Reed Beds
This €900,000 project will increase the capacity of the plant and also address noise and odour issues
Irish Water has lodged planning applications for eight for innovative environmentally friendly reed beds. These proposed reed beds will provide sustainable solution for the long term treatment of wastewater sludge. A sludge drying reed bed acts as a natural filter for the sludge that comes out of wastewater treatment plants and eliminates the removal of sludge off-site for separate processing.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Minimal day-to-day operation and maintenance costsay operation and maintenance costs
- No odour problems
- Eliminates the use of chemicals
- Greater compliance and reduction in overflow to rivers
- Removal of tankers carrying sludge from the roads
What is involved as part of this project?
- Constructing sludge drying reed beds at eight wastewater treatment plants in Co.Carlow
- Countywide, Co. Carlow