Borris and Rathoe Wastewater Treatment Plants Upgrades
Upgrading the wastewater treatment plants in Borris and Rathoe, Co. Carlow as part of €400,000 investment to the county
Irish Water, working in partnership with Carlow County Council, is investing over €400,000 to undertake essential upgrade works to wastewater treatment plants in Borris and Rathoe, Co. Carlow. These improvement works include upgrades to the inlet works, storm water management and sludge treatment and storage at the plants.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Upgrade existing infrastructure at the plants and provide new elements where defects identified
- Improve the performance of the wastewater treatment process
- Prolong the operational life of the existing plants
- Reduce the risk of storm water flooding
- Ensure compliance with Urban Wastewater Treatment Regulations 2001
What is involved as part of this project?
- Install new inlet works (screen and grit removal system), storm tank and sludge management system at the Borris Plant
- Install Sludge Drying Reed Bed pilot and upgrade the grit removal system at the Rathoe plant
- The majority of the works will be carried out within the footprint of the plants, therefore minimising disruption to residents and businesses in the surrounding area
- Borris and Rathoe, Co. Carlow
- In Progress