Ballyboden Water Treatment Plant Upgrade
This €10.5 million project will involve the upgrade of the Ballyboden Water Treatment Plant.
The existing Ballyboden Water Treatment Plant is located within a 25 acre site situated on Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16. Ballyboden Water Treatment Plant supplies treated water to customers in Dublin City, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown and South Dublin County. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has issued a direction under the Drinking Water Regulations to cease the uncovered storage of treated drinking water at Ballyboden Water Treatment Plant. Open treated water storage can give rise to re-contamination of water following treatment, which presents risks to supply to customers in the Dublin Region.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Secure the future water supply
- Improve drinking water quality
- Allow for growth in population in the area
What is involved as part of this project?
- Construction of a 16 million litres covered concrete reservoir for storage of treated water
- Upgrade of existing disinfection process
- Decommissioning of existing open storage while maintaining existing reservoir embankments
- In Progress
- Winter 2018
- €10.5 million