Ballinamore and Leitrim Village Wastewater Treatment Plants Upgrades
Upgrading the wastewater treatment plants in Ballinamore and Leitrim Village, Co. Leitrim, as part of a €500,000 investment
Irish Water, working in partnership with Leitrim County Council, is investing over €500,000 to undertake essential upgrade works to wastewater treatment plants in Ballinamore and Leitrim Village, Co. Leitrim. These improvement works include upgrades to the inlet works, storm water management and sludge treatment and storage at the plants.
What are the next steps?
Subject to statutory approvals, it is envisaged that works will be completed at the sites by 2021.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Upgrade existing infrastructure at the plants and provide new elements where defects identified.
- Improve the performance of the wastewater treatment process.
- Prolong the operational life of the existing plants.
- Reduce the risk of storm water flooding.
- Ensure compliance with Urban Wastewater Treatment Regulations 2001.
What is involved as part of this project?
- Install a new Combined Inlet Works combined with grit and Fats Oil and Grease (FOG) and sludge tank at the Ballinamore Plant.
- Install a new bypass screen and storm water holding tank at the Leitrim Village Plant.
- These works will be carried out within the footprint of the plants, therefore minimising disruption to residents and businesses in the surrounding area.
- Ballinamore and Leitrim Village, Co. Leitrim