Arthurstown, Ballyhack & Duncannon Wastewater Treatment Plant
This €7.6 million project is needed to stop untreated wastewater being discharged directly into the Barrow Nore Suir Estuary.
The receiving water at Arthurstown is designated shellfish water and the beach in the town of Duncannon has recently failed to achieve Blue Flag status and this is thought to be due to the nearby discharge of wastewater. The practice of discharging untreated wastewater to the estuary is no longer acceptable and Irish Water intends to rectify this problem in conjunction with Wexford County Council by constructing a new Wastewater Treatment Plant to ensure that wastewater discharging at Arthurstown meets appropriate discharge standards. The new Wastewater Treatment Plant will bring benefits to Arthurstown, Ballyhack and Duncannon in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all. This project will stop the discharge of over 1,500 wheelie bins of raw sewage into the estuary per day.
What are the benefits of this project?
- The new Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) will bring benefits to Arthurstown, Ballyhack and Duncannon in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all
- The proposed WWTP will improve the water quality in the Barrow Nore Suir Estuary
- Cleaner water will enhance the amenity value of the beaches and harbours at Arthurstown, Ballyhack and Duncannon and act as a platform for social and economic development
- The new pipes, pumping stations and wastewater treatment plant have all been sized to accommodate an increase in the local population and will facilitate future growth in the area
- The project will assist with ensuring that the water quality standards set down by regulatory bodies will be achieved
What is involved as part of this project?
- Construction of a new wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) at Arthurstown that will serve a population equivalent of 1,875 which equates to stopping over 1500 wheelie bins of raw sewage being discharged to the estuary per day
- Development of a new wastewater pumping stations near the existing outfalls at Arthurstown, Ballyhack and Duncannon to transfer wastewater to the new WWTP
- Sewer pipelines to bring untreated wastewater to the WWTP and treated water to the existing outfall pipe at Arthurstown
- The existing outfall pipe at Arthurstown will safely discharge the treated wastewater effluent to the Barrow Nore Suir Estuary
- Arthurstown, Ballyhack and Duncannon, Co. Wexford
- €7.6 million