Omeath Sewerage Scheme
Eliminating untreated wastewater in Carlingford Lough
This project is necessary to end the unacceptable discharge of over 800 wheelie bins of untreated wastewater to Carlingford Lough per day. This will also ensure improved water quality in the receiving waters in compliance with national and EU regulations relating to the treatment of wastewater.
- Enhanced environmental amenity of Omeath
- Protection of recreational swimming, fishing, kayaking and sightseeing waters
- Provision for social and economic development and future growth within the Omeath area
- New Wastewater Treatment Plant of 1,000 population equivalent
- A new Network Pump Station with emergency storage
- Sewer pipelines to bring untreated wastewater to the plant and the treated effluent to the existing outfall pipe
- The existing outfall pipe will be extended by approx. 50m to safely discharge the treated effluent to Carlingford Lough
What are the next steps?
- Planning permission sought
- Subject to planning, construction will commence in 2021
- Completion in 2022
- Irish Water will engage with Louth County Council regarding traffic management during the works
- Irish Water and appointed contractor will maintain contact with local community in advance of and throughout works