Offaly Wastewater Treatment Plants Upgrades
Upgrading the wastewater treatment plants across Offaly as part of a €700,000 investment
Irish Water, working in partnership with Offaly County Council, is investing €700,000 to undertake essential upgrade works to wastewater treatment plants in towns and villages across Offaly. These improvement works include upgrades to the storm water management and sludge treatment and storage facilities.
As part of the project, upgrade works are proposed to be completed at the Cloghan, Shinrone and Birr wastewater treatment plants.
- Upgrade existing infrastructure at the plants and provide new elements where defects identified
- Improve the performance of the wastewater treatment process
- Prolong the operational life of the existing plants
- Reduce the risk of storm water flooding
- Ensure compliance with Urban Wastewater Treatment Regulations 2001
- Upgrade the Cloghan and Shinrone plants through the installation of below ground storm water holding tanks and storm pumps, upgrade the effluent pumping station and existing sludge holding tanks
- Upgrade the storm water management and sludge treatment at the Birr plants through the installation of constructed wetland and Sludge Drying Reed Beds
- Works will be carried out within the footprint of the plants therefore minimising disruption to residents and businesses in the surrounding area