Loughshinny Wastewater Infrastructure Upgrade
Irish Water has begun a €4.5 million project to deliver new wastewater infrastructure for Loughshinny
Irish Water has signed contracts to deliver a €4.5 million project that will upgrade wastewater infrastructure in Loughshinny.
Wastewater infrastructure in Loughshinny is no longer suitable to meet the needs of the area. Wastewater from Loughshinny currently flows to an overloaded septic tank, which allows inadequately treated wastewater to discharge directly into the Irish Sea.
This project will stop the discharge and send wastewater from Loughshinny to the existing wastewater treatment plant at Barnageeragh in Skerries.
- Protection of the environment by ending the discharge of inadequately treated wastewater to the Irish Sea.
- Protection of bathing water quality at Loughshinny.
- Compliance with the EPA’s wastewater discharge authorisation for Balbriggan/ Skerries.
- Provision of wastewater services that meet the needs of both domestic and commercial customers in Loughshinny and the surrounding area.
- Capacity for an increase in the local population to facilitate future growth of the village.
- Reduced on-going maintenance costs.
What is involved?
- Decommission the old septic tank system.
- Construct a new underground pumping station at the Loughshinny beach car park, with an above-ground control kiosk.
- Construct approximately 2.5km of new wastewater pipe from the new Pumping Station to the R128 via Harbour Road, Mine Road and the R128.
- Jons Civil Engineering Company Ltd. is delivering the contract on behalf of Irish Water.
- Site mobilisation works are due to start week commencing 14 September 2020, with works on the Loughshinny Beach Carpark pump station due to commence on week commencing 21 September 2020.
- In order to safely facilitate the works, a section of the Loughshinny beach carpark will be closed until January 2021. Access will be maintained to both the car park and the beach for the duration of the works. As part of the project, the entire car park will be resurfaced.
- Pipeline installation will commence on Harbour Road in November 2020 and onto Mine Road in January 2021.
- The overall project will take approximately 12 months to complete. Regular updates will be provided on progress, upcoming works and changes to traffic management throughout the project.
Details of ongoing and upcoming works in Loughshinny:
- Installation of new pipeline will continue over the coming weeks, with over 90m of pipeline installed to date.
- Traffic management measures will be in place for the duration of these works.
- Access will be maintained for residents, pedestrians, local fishing community and emergency services.
Loughshinny Beach Car Park:
- Installation of underground Pump Station and associated pipework to continue at the beach car park.