Knightstown Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade
Upgrading the wastewater treatment plant in Knightstown, Co. Kerry as part of €150,000 investment
Irish Water, working in partnership with Kerry County Council, is investing €150,000 to undertake essential upgrade works to the wastewater treatment plant in Knightstown, Co. Kerry. These improvement works include upgrades to the inlet works, storm water management and sludge treatment and storage.
What are the next steps?
Subject to statutory approvals, it is envisaged that works will be completed at the site by 2021.
- Upgrade existing infrastructure at the plant and provide new elements where defects identified
- Improve the performance of the wastewater treatment process
- Prolong the operational life of the existing plant
- Reduce the risk of storm water flooding
- Ensure compliance with Urban Wastewater Treatment Regulations 2001
- Upgrade the inlet works at the plants, which includes the provision of inlet screens, grit removal and flow control, where applicable
- Construct storm water holding tanks for the plants
- Upgrade the sludge storage, thickening and dewatering facilities where required
- Works will be carried out within the footprint of the plants therefore minimising disruption to residents and businesses in the surrounding area