Kilkenny Disinfection Programme
The National Disinfection Programme ensures Kilkenny will continue to have safe and secure drinking water. We have been working with Kilkenny County Council to complete a detailed assessment of the water treatment plants in Kilkenny.
About this project
AECO / Murphy Process Engineering Limited is working on behalf of Irish Water to deliver the National Disinfection Project across the county. The Kilkenny programme is now complete.
Disinfection systems at 12 water treatment plants (WTP), pumping stations and reservoirs have been upgraded and standardised. We have also finished operational upgrades to public water supplies and pumping stations.
Sites include: Ballyragget WTP, Callan WTP (Mallaunglass), Love Lane WTP, Clogh Castlecomer WTP (Loon WTP), Gowran Goresbridge Paulstown WTP, Graiguenamanagh WTP (Coolroe WTP), Mooncoin WTP (Clonassy WTP ), Mountfinn WTP , Gorteen WTP (Gorteen Springs ), Kilmaganny WTP, Mullinabro WTP and Bawntamaneenagh (Freshford).
What was involved
The programme involved assessing the condition and performance of all the sites. We then determined the disinfection systems needed to be upgraded.
Works at the plants included upgrades to the:
- Chemical storage and dosing infrastructure
- Chlorine contact time provision systems
- Disinfection systems using Ultra Violet (UV) where required
- Monitoring instrumentation systems
- Control, telemetry and automation processes
The upgrade works carried out as part of this project has:
- Improved the security of drinking water for residents and businesses
- Improved disinfection systems and standards
- Future-proofed the security of supplies
- Provided improved control of the systems
- Ensured continued compliance with Drinking Water Quality Regulations