Glaslough Water Mains Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Monaghan County Council, is replacing problematic water mains in Glaslough, Co. Monaghan to provide a more safe and secure water supply, improve water quality and reduce high levels of leakage
The works involve the replacement of approximately 1164 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The scheme also includes the decommissioning of approximately 313 meters of old cast iron mains and associated back yard service connections. The programme to replace the water mains in Glaslough will commence early January 2020. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works will take place on Main Street along Barrack Hill and the R185.
The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Farrans Construction Ltd and are expected to be completed by April 2020.
Improved water quality
- Replacing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network with new modern pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a more reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Affects of works
- To facilitate the safe delivery of works, there will be some short term local road closures in place during delivery. The community will be notified of this in advance. Alternative routes will be available and diversions will be clearly sign-posted. Local and emergency access will be maintained at all times.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements will be notified directly and customers can phone Irish Water on 1850 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements may cause. Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section of the Irish Water website.