Dungarvan Water Main Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Waterford City & County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Dungarvan, Co Waterford to improve security of water supply and reduce high levels of leakage
The programme to replace ageing and problematic water mains in Davitt’s Quay, Abbeyside, Dungarvan will commence in early February 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme. The section of works will take place on Davitt’s Quay between the Park Hotel and Waterford City and County Council Civic offices. Included in the works is a crossing of the N25 at Shandon roundabout.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Coffey Northumbrian Ltd. and are expected to be completed in April 2019.
Improved supply of water to Dungarvan town centre
- The new water mains to be installed as part of this project will be larger diameter than the old mains and are designed to allow increased water supply to the town centre area
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of aged water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- The water main to be replaced is prone to bursts and replacing the main removes the risk of a major burst causing a sudden unexpected outage to the town centre area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of 300 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes in Dungarvan, Co Waterford
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs