Cois Fharraige Water Main Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Galway County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Cois Fharraige, Spiddal, Co. Galway to improve security of supply, improve water quality and reduce high levels of leakage
The programme to replace problematic water mains in Cois Fharraige, Spiddal is scheduled to commence on 25 October 2018. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme. The section of works will take place in Cois Fharraige off the R336 between Aer Arainn airport and Kilroe East, Co Galway.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Farrans Construction Ltd. The delivery of this project is likely to take 18 months due to the nature of rock in the ground and associated construction challenges that this will bring.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacing the old water mains with new water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacement of old water mains and service connections in poor condition will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of approximately 8.8 kilometres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work