Clarecastle Sewerage Scheme
Irish Water is commencing works to construct 311m of new sewer rising main as part of the upgrades to the sewerage infrastructure in Clarecastle
Irish Water, working in partnership with Clare County Council, is progressing with works to upgrade the sewerage infrastructure in Clarecastle, Co. Clare. This project involves the construction of 2.1km of new wastewater pipelines and upgrades to existing sewerage infrastructure to eliminate the discharge of untreated wastewater from Clarecastle into the River Fergus and the greater Shannon Estuary.
What are the benefits of this project?
The new wastewater treatment plant will bring benefits to Clarecastle including:
- Better health and integrity of the environment.
- Improved water quality in the River Fergus and the greater Shannon Estuary.
- Protection of recreational waters for swimming, surfers, fishing, boating and sightseeing.
- Cleaner water will enhance local amenities and act as a platform for social and economic development.
- Upgrades to infrastructure sized to accommodate future population growth.
- Ensure compliance with national and EU regulations relating to the treatment of wastewater.
What does this project involve?
The proposed scheme includes upgrades to the wastewater infrastructure in Clarecastle. This include:
- Construction of 2.1km of new sewer rising main to transfer sewage from Clarecastle for treatment at the existing Clareabbey Wastewater Treatment Plant (WwTP).
- Upgrade to the existing Quay Road Pumping Station including the installation of new pumps and associated equipment.
- Upgrades works to the Clareabbey WwTP which will take place within the existing site boundary, which will be completed as part of a different project.
When is the project expected to commence?
Advanced works which involves the construction of 311m of sewer rising main in Clarecastle will be undertaken between January - February 2021.
The construction of the remaining works including sewer rising main and upgrades to the pumping station are expected to commence in early 2022.
Ward and Burke Construction Ltd are delivering these works on behalf of Irish Water.
Figure 1 – Works location for Clarecastle works in January 2021
What are the next steps?
The construction of 311m of sewer rising main along the R458 between Clarecastle Church and Quay Road are due to commence on Monday 4 January 2021. These works are being completed in advance of a streetscaping contract that is due to commence in Clarecastle in February 2021.
Will there be any traffic impact as a result of these works?
Traffic Management will be in place during the course of these works and will include a stop and go traffic system. The works will commence on Monday 4 January 2021 from 08:00 for a period of 5 weeks.
Irish Water will endeavour to provide updates to the local community in advance and during these works.