Cavan Disinfection Programme
Irish Water is upgrading Water Treatment Plants across Cavan as part of the National Disinfection Programme
About this project
Veolia Ltd is working on behalf of Irish Water to deliver the National Disinfection Programme across the county. To date, disinfection systems at 2 plants have been upgraded and standardised.
The sites upgraded are Kilawaun WTP (Cootehill) and Swanlinbar WTP.
What was involved
The programme involved assessing the condition and performance of all the sites. We then determined the disinfection systems needed to be upgraded.
Works at the plants included upgrades to the:
- Chemical storage and dosing infrastructure
- Chlorine contact time provision systems
- Disinfection systems using Ultra Violet (UV) barriers where required
- Monitoring instrumentation systems
- Control, telemetry and automation processes
The upgrade works carried out as part of this project has:
- Improved the security of drinking water for residents and businesses
- Eliminated the risk of boil water notices
- Improved disinfection systems and standards
- Future-proofed the security of supplies
- Provided improved control of the systems
- Ensured continued compliance with Drinking Water Quality Regulations