Carrigaline Water Mains Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Cork County Council, has replaced problematic water mains on the Kilmoney Road Upper, Carrigaline, to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
The works involved the replacement of over 650 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. These works were carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The works took place from the junction of Liosrua and the Kilmoney Road Upper and continue on the Kilmoney Road Upper to the junction of the Upper and Lower Kilmoney Roads/the R611. The works also involved laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side were lead these were be replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works were carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Coffey Northumbrian Ltd and completed in October 2020.
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground. •
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area. •
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Affects of works
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. Traffic management in the form of a stop-go system will be in place during this time. Local and emergency traffic will be maintained at all times.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified directly and customers can phone Irish Water on 1850 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements may cause. Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section of the Irish Water website.