Carrick-On-Suir Water Mains Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Tipperary County Council, is undertaking water network improvement works in Carrick-On-Suir, Tipperary, to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017- 2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network. The benefits of this programme are:
- Replacing old pipes to reduce drinking water lost by leakage
- Fixing leaks to reduce disruption from bursts and outages
- Improving water quality
- Delivering savings on operation and maintenance of the network
Details of the project
The works involve the installation of approximately 600 metres of high-density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to install new sections of water mains in Carrick-On-Suir will commence on 29 March 2021. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The works are due to be undertaken at three locations:
- Junction of Pill Road/N24 and Willow Vale opposite Saint Brigid’s General Hospital
- Junction of Pill Road/N24 and Mount Saint Nicholas
- Junction of New Street and the Pill Road/N24 opposite Carrick-On-Suir Garda Station
The works and resulting water network improvements will enable the decommissioning of problematic water mains in close proximity to the locations of works. The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Shareridge LTD. and are expected to be completed within 6 weeks, approximately 2 weeks at each location.
Temporary traffic lights will be in place for duration of works on the Pill road/N24 and Willow Vale junction.
Stop go traffic management will be in place at the Pill Road/N24 Mount Saint Nicholas junction.
Four-way stop go traffic management will be in place at the junction of New Street and the Pill Road/N24 for the duration of works at this location.
What are the benefits of the works?
The benefits of the leakage reduction works include:
• A Reliable Water Supply – Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
• Reduced Leaks – Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
• Improved Operation and Maintenance – These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Will customers be affected by the works?
Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. Stop-go traffic management and/or traffic lights will be in place at the location of works. Local and emergency traffic management will be maintained at all times.
The works will involve some short-term water shut-offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
For more information, please visit the National Leakage Reduction Programme section of our website.