Calheam/ An Sruthán Water Mains Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Donegal County Council, is replacing old problematic water mains in Calhaem/ An Sruthàn, Co.Donegal to provide a more reliable water supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017-2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network.
- A Reliable Water Supply - Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
- Reduced Leaks - Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
- Improved Operation and Maintenance - These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
- The works involve the replacement of approximately 724 meters of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes.
- The section of rehabilitation works will take place along the L-1113-2.
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers' property boundaries and connecting it to the customers' water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
Will customers be affected by the works?
To facilitate the safe delivery of the works, there will be some short-term local road closures and traffic management in place during delivery. The community will be notified of this in advance. Alternative routes will be available and diversions will be clearly sign-posted. Local and emergency access will be maintained at all times.
The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.