Bullet Road (Phase 2) Water Mains Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Westmeath County Council, has replaced old problematic water mains in Bullet Road, Athlone Co. Westmeath to provide a more reliable water supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017-2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network.
This project was completed in December 2020.
- A Reliable Water Supply - Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
- Reduced Leaks - Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
- Improved Operation and Maintenance - These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
- The works involve the replacement of approximately 550 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes along Bullet Road, Athlone. The works commenced on Monday 30th November 2020.
- In September 2020 we commenced works on Bullet Road and this is phase 2 of that original scheme.
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers' property boundaries and connecting it to the customer's water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
Works Completed and Next Steps
To facilitate the safe delivery of the works, there will be some traffic management in place during delivery. Local and emergency access will be maintained at all times.
The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut-offs.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.