Blackrock Water Main Replacement - Avoca Avenue
Irish Water, in partnership with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Blackrock, Co Dublin to improve security of supply, improve water quality and reduce high levels of leakage
The works involve the replacement of over 2,500 metres of problematic water mains with polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace the water mains in the Avoca Avenue area commenced on 7 September 2020. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
Water mains will also be replaced from the Priory Avenue/Grove Avenue/Avoca Avenue junction to the Avoca Avenue/Avoca Road junction. Works will also be completed on the Avoca Avenue/Avoca Road junction on the Avoca Road to the Avoca Road Road/Grove Avenue junction. Water mains on Glenart Avenue will also be replaced.
A Reliable Water Supply
Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
Improved Water Quality
- Replacing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network with new modern pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of approximately 2.5 kilometres of problematic cast iron water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes.
- Works will commence on 7 September 2020.
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply.
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
- Works are expected to be completed on 30 November 2020.