Bandon Water Main & Sewer Network Upgrade Project
Irish Water is investing €14 million in the Bandon Water Main & Sewer Network Upgrade Project
Irish Water is working proactively with our delivery partners and as part of a multi-agency working group to ensure that our construction works are carried out in a controlled and safe manner, in keeping with Government and HSE guidelines to protect workers, their families and the broader community.
Please Note: The Construction Industry Federation (CIF) Annual Holidays commence from 20 July to 4 August 2020. Please see below works scheduled for this period.
Details of upcoming works commencing
|Location||Start Dates||Duration||Planned Works||Traffic Management|
|Watergate Street||Started 29 June 2020||10 weeks||Pipeline construction||Road Closure|
|Bank Place||Starting 4 August 2020||3 weeks||Pipeline construction||Road Closure – Stop and Go|
|N71- Before Kevin O’Leary’s||Starting 4 August 2020||2 weeks||Pipeline construction||Stop and Go|
|Brady’s lane, Glasslynn, laurel walk, North Main Street, and Kilbrogan Hill||Starting 4 August 2020||1 week||Works on manhole covers||Stop and Go|
|St Finbarr’s place – Phase 1||Starting 10 August 2020||6 weeks||Pipeline construction||New Traffic Diversion Layout|
- Works on Watergate Street will continue week commencing 4 August 2020. A road closure will be in place for 10 weeks to facilitate watermain and sewer upgrades, tie in connections and road reinstatement.
- All residents, schools and businesses have been communicated with in relation to the works. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause
- A road closure will be in place for 2 weeks in order to carry out works including the installation of a new section of watermain, tie in the new watermain and permanent reinstatement of the junction
- All residents and businesses have been communicated with in relation to the works.
St Finbarr’s Place
Works are due to commence on St Finbarr’s Place on 10 August 2020.
- The planned works include the construction of a new deep sewer pipeline at St. Finbarr’s Place, under the existing culvert and tie into new pipelines on McSwiney Quay and Pearse Street. The works are complex and will be carried out over several phases, to try and reduce the impact on the traffic flow of the town.
- These works are complex and will be spilt into 4 phases.
- Phase 1 of the works will commence on Monday 10 August.
Overview of Phase 1 section of works
- Phase 1 is planned to last approximately 6 weeks.
- Traffic management to facilitate works of phase 1 will be a new traffic layout. See attached overleaf for details of same.
Note: from the 10 August, Oliver Plunkett Street will now be a one-way system with traffic only being allowed to travel west towards the town.
- In order to speed up the works there will be times where 24-hour shifts will be in place on this phase of works. This will mean possible noise disruption but will help ensure the works are progressed as quickly as possible.
Businesses in Bandon
1. Will customers be able to access my business?
- Yes, they will. We will have traffic diversions in place to ensure that customer access and deliveries will be maintained to Bandon town and the street directly impacted due to the works.
- Pedestrian access will also remain in place throughout the period of the works.
2. What about deliveries to businesses?
- For deliveries to business in Bandon Town – All businesses will be catered for and deliveries accommodated. New traffic layout has catered for deliveries to the town centre.
- HGVs will be encouraged to use the Bypass and N71 to avoid the town centre.
- The Bandon Business Association and any business that request same will be issued with all details of the phasing and associated Traffic Management plans.
- Parking may be restricted to residents along Connolly Street and Oliver Plunket Street due to the Works.
|Bus stop location||Relocation due to works|
|Bus Stop at Kelleher’s Hardware||To be moved in front of Kelleher’s Hardware|
|Bus Stop at ESB Centre||Moving to Kevin O’Leary’s|
Contact will be made with all schools and we will liaise with schools in order to provide them with information for the parents and students in relation to school access in advance of each phase of works. Schools will be issued with all details on the timing of works and associated Traffic Management Plans.
For updates on the works please visit www.water.ie/bandon.
Ward and Burke Construction Ltd. has a full time Community Liaison Officer on the contract who is available to address and queries or concerns in relation to the works.
Contact details: Carol Harris 086 1449548 or email@example.com.
- Will improve the water and sewer network in Bandon
- Will reduce leakage in Bandon
- Provision for future growth within the Bandon area
- Replacement of 10kms aging water mains with a high frequency of burst and high rate of leakage
- Upgrading over 5kms of sewer network
- Replacement of all lead and copper communications pipes crossed or otherwise encountered during the construction works and replacement with polyethylene pipe
- Provision of a combined sewer underneath the bed of the St. Patrick’s Place Culvert on the Bridewell River from New Road along St. Patrick’s Place to Market Quay
- Removal of combined sewer overflows