Bandon Water Main & Sewer Network Upgrade Project
Irish Water is investing €14 million in the Bandon Water Main & Sewer Network Upgrade Project
We are progressing a water main and sewer network upgrade in Bandon. This project will replace 10kms aging water mains with a high frequency of burst and high rate of leakage. The project will improve water quality and security of supply for the people of Bandon and will increase the capacity in the sewer network by upgrading over 5kms of sewer network and reducing sewage discharges to the River Bandon and alleviating sewer flooding.
Details of ongoing and upcoming works
|Location||Start Dates||Duration||Planned Works||Traffic Management|
|Kilborgan Hill (Phase 2)||Starting 10 March 2020||8 weeks||Pipeline Construction||Road Closure|
|McSwiney Quay (Phase 2)||Starting 18 March 2020||3 Weeks||Pipeline Construction||Road Closure|
|Weir Street||Starting 12 March 2020||8 weeks||Pipeline Construction||Road Closure|
|**Note: McSwiney Quay and Weir Street will not be closed at the same time. In order to carry out tie in works on McSwiney Quay when Weir Street is closed, there will be traffic lights on McSwiney Quay|
|Glasslyn Road/N71||Starting 24 March 2020||3 Weeks||Pipeline Construction||2 Way Traffic|
Please note all works on McSwiney Quay:
- The road closure on McSwiney Quay was lifted on Friday 13 March 2020.
- Following St. Patrick’s weekend, works commenced on the Weir Street and McSwiney Quay junction. In order to carry out a tie in on the junction safely and efficiently, Weir Street will be closed and traffic lights will be set up on McSwiney Quay.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times. Parking will be restricted during the closure; we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
- An 8-week road closure is required to complete pipe construction. The road closure will come into effect the on 18 March 2020 until 02 May 2020.
- Pedestrian access will always be maintained. Parking will be restricted during the closure; we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Emergency services will always be worked with to ensure access.
- Phase 2 commenced on 10 March 2020. The road closure for this phase of the works has been implemented.
- All residents, schools and businesses will continue to be communicated with in relation to the works.
- The road closure is in place to carry out the works safely and efficiently.
- Works the Glasslyn Road/N71 commenced on 24 March 2020 at the roundabout at Kevin O’Leary’s garage. These works are required to construct new section of watermain through the roundabout.
- Traffic will be kept flowing past either side of the works to prevent disruption. Where connections and tie ins may be required, stop and go may be required.
Ward and Burke Construction Ltd. has a full time Community Liaison Officer on the contract who is available to address and queries or concerns in relation to the works.
Contact details: Carol Harris 086 1449548 or email@example.com.
- Will improve the water and sewer network in Bandon
- Will reduce leakage in Bandon
- Provision for future growth within the Bandon area
- Replacement of 10kms aging water mains with a high frequency of burst and high rate of leakage
- Upgrading over 5kms of sewer network
- Replacement of all lead and copper communications pipes crossed or otherwise encountered during the construction works and replacement with polyethylene pipe
- Provision of a combined sewer underneath the bed of the St. Patrick’s Place Culvert on the Bridewell River from New Road along St. Patrick’s Place to Market Quay
- Removal of combined sewer overflows