Ballyvourney/Ballymakeera Wastewater Treatment Plant
Irish Water, working in partnership with Cork County Council, is constructing a new wastewater treatment plant in Ballyvourney/Ballymakeera, Co. Cork. EPS Group Limited has been commissioned to deliver this project on our behalf. This project is part of a €27 million investment in the Cork Mid-West area and will include the construction of a new wastewater treatment plant and associated infrastructure in this area. This will improve the wastewater treatment quality and capacity and ensure compliance with wastewater discharge regulations.
What are the next steps?
The works are scheduled to commence in the coming months once a programme of works has been agreed with the contractor on the project timeframe. We will endeavour to keep you updated as the project progresses.
- End the discharge of poorly treated effluent
- Improve water quality in the receiving waters
- Enhance local amenities and a platform for social and economic development
- All new infrastructure is sized to accommodate future population growth of the villages and the surrounding Cork Mid-West areas
- Ensure compliance with the Urban Wastewater Treatment Directive and EPA Wastewater Discharge Licencing
- A new wastewater treatment plant which will serve a population of approximately 2,600 people.
- Construction of an outfall pipe and upgrade works to the existing pumping station and new rising main.
- Decommissioning and demolition of the existing septic tank.