Ballycotton Sewerage Scheme
This project is needed to stop untreated wastewater being discharged directly into Ballycotton Bay. Ballycotton is a small fishing village which sits on a rocky-ledge overlooking Ballycotton Bay and is surrounded by sandy beaches.
The practice of discharging untreated wastewater to the bay is no longer acceptable and Irish Water intends to rectify this problem by constructing a new Wastewater Treatment Plant and network infrastructure to ensure that wastewater discharging to Ballycotton Bay meets appropriate discharge standards. The new Wastewater Treatment Plant will bring benefits to Ballycotton in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all. This project will stop the discharge of over 860 wheelie bins of raw sewage into Ballycotton Bay per day.
Where will the project take place?
A proposed new pumping station on Ballycotton Pier. This pumping station will transfer wastewater to a second pumping station on Cow Lane via a rising main and then a gravity sewer
A proposed new pumping station on Cow Lane. This pumping station will transfer wastewater to the proposed treatment plant via a rising main
The proposed new treatment plant will be located on a site currently used for agricultural purposes to the south west of Ballycotton Main Street
A marine outfall pipe will carry treated wastewater from the plant to the existing outfall adjacent to Cow Lane
- Better health and integrity of the environment
- Improved water quality in Ballycotton Bay. Cleaner water will enhance Ballycotton’s amenity value and act as a platform for social and economic development
- New sewer pipes, pumping stations and wastewater treatment plant sized to accommodate future population growth
- Stops untreated wastewater being discharged into Ballycotton Bay
- Construction of a new below ground pumping station on Ballycotton Pier
- Construction of a new below ground pumping station on Cow Lane
- 200m of new gravity sewer to transport untreated wastewater to the proposed pumping stations
- 1200m of new rising main to transport untreated wastewater to the proposed new wastewater treatment plant
- Construction of a new wastewater treatment plant which will serve a population equivalent of approximately 1082
- A 450m long outfall pipeline to safely discharge treated wastewater from the wastewater treatment plant to Ballycotton Bay