Ballingeary Water Supply Scheme
Irish Water has completed works to provide a safe and reliable drinking water source for the Ballingeary Water Supply Scheme.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Cork County Council, has completed works to improve the water supply for Ballingeary and the surrounding area. This investment will benefit over 230 customers to ensure the delivery of a clean, safe drinking water supply.
The existing water treatment process at the plant was inadequate due to the formation of elevated concentrations of Trihalomethanes (THMs) and other contaminants above the drinking water standards. The water treatment system at the plant has now been upgraded to improve the drinking water quality for the area.
What was involved?
- Constructed a kiosk to accommodate pumps and all other associated equipment.
- Installed 2 portable carbon filter units including filter media (GAC).
- Booster pump, associated pipework for controlling flow for filter changeover.
- Installed UVT monitor and connection to PLC & HMI and SCADA.
- All associated civil works, pipework and ancillary work.
- Enable the removal of Ballingeary Water Supply Scheme from the EPA’s Remedial Action List (RAL).
- Improve drinking water quality.
- Safeguard water supplies for the area.
- Ensure compliance with current drinking water quality regulations.