Ballincollig Water Main Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Cork County Council, is replacing problematic water mains in Knockburden, Ballincollig to improve security of supply and reduce high levels of leakage
The works involve the decommissioning and replacement of problematic water mains with over 1 kilometre of polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace ageing water mains in Knockburden will commence on Monday 10 December 2018. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Coffey Northumbrian Limited and are expected to be completed in February 2019. Works will cease over the Christmas period and be continued after the holiday period in the New Year.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs
- Traffic management may be in place during this time