Ballina Water Mains Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Mayo County Council, is replacing problematic water mains in Ballina
The project to replace problematic water mains in Ballina will commence in November 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The works involve the replacement of over 3824 meters of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes.
The section of works will take place in Wherrew, Knockanillaun along the L1109. The works also involve laying new water service connections from the public watermain in the road customer’s property boundaries and connecting it to the customer’s water supply. Where existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Farrans Construction and are expected to be completed by late February 2020.
Provision of a more reliable water supply
- This project will improve the resilience of the water network in Ballina increasing connectivity to enable re-routing of water supply as required. It will also support continued growth within the community
- Replacement of watermains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Affects of Works
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. Traffic management will be in place throughout the course of the works. Traffic signal lights will be in place from early November along the L1109 Gurteens /Rathball Road. Further traffic management arrangements will be required to facilitate the works and details will be communicated once more information is available. Emergency and local access will be maintained at all times.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and work crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements will be notified directly and customers can phone Irish Water on 1850 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements may cause. Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section.