Athlone Water Supply Scheme Upgrade
Irish Water is progressing essential works to safeguard the water supply for customers in Athlone
Irish Water, working in partnership with Westmeath County Council, is upgrading the water treatment plant in Athlone, Co. Westmeath. This project will improve the water treatment capacity at the existing Athlone Water Treatment Plant, ensuring a more secure water supply to homes and businesses in the area.
The current water treatment plant cannot meet future growth and demand for water in Athlone and environs. These upgrade works will enable the plant to continue to supply drinking water to businesses and residents in Athlone. Irish Water has awarded the contract to Veolia Water Ireland and works are expected to commence in Q1 2021.
In addition to the water treatment upgrade works, water main repairs and leakage reduction works are ongoing in the town.
- Ensure the delivery of safe, clean drinking water to residents and businesses in Athlone and the surrounding area.
- Improve water quality and water treatment standards.
- Improve the control and reliability of the water supply.
- Support economic and social development in the area.
- Ensure compliance with current drinking water quality regulations.
The existing water treatment plant will be upgraded in two phases to allow capacity to be increased significantly in order to meet the demands for Athlone into the future.
Phase 1 design, site investigation and procurement was undertaken throughout 2020.