Ardee Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade
Irish Water has upgraded the wastewater infrastructure in Ardee, Co. Louth to increase capacity and ensure environmental compliance
Irish Water, working in partnership with Louth County Council, has completed essential upgrades to the wastewater infrastructure in Ardee, Co. Louth. Wills Brothers Limited and EPS Group delivered this project on behalf of Irish Water.
This €7.5 million investment has resulted in upgrades to the wastewater treatment plant, the sewer network and pumping station. These upgrades will improve the wastewater treatment performance, ensure compliance with the Wastewater Treatment Regulations and eliminate sewer overflows into the River Dee.
- Modernise and improve the performance of the wastewater treatment process at the plant
- Reduce sewer overflows into the River Dee which will improve water quality
- Address the structural defects of the sewers, reducing the likelihood of sewer collapses and blockages
- Reduce potential sewer flooding and odour issues
- Ensure compliance with Urban Wastewater Treatment Regulations 2001
- Increase the treatment capacity of the plant
- Provide for growth and development in Ardee and surrounding areas
What is involved?
- Upgraded the inlet works, storm water pumping and storm water holding tank
- Upgraded the sludge thickening and sludge holding system to minimise the volumes of liquid being removed from site
- Completed upgrade works to the grit removal system and clarifiers
- Installed a new energy efficient fine bubble diffusion aeration system
- Undertaken CCTV sewer surveys and replaced 479 m of the existing sewer, where defects were identified
- Constructed 433m of new sewer pipelines and constructed a new wastewater pumping station at Irish Street