26 August 2020 Go back to News
Works continue on Bandon Water Main and Sewer Network Upgrade project
Works to reduce leakage, allow provision for future growth and assist in flood mitigation
Irish Water working in partnership with Cork County Council and our third party contractors continue to work on the Bandon Water Main and Sewer Network Upgrade project that will improve the water and sewer network in Bandon, reduce leakage, allow provision for future growth and also assist in flood mitigation.
The works include the following steps,
1. Replacement of 10kms aging water mains with a high frequency of burst and high rate of leakage
2. Upgrading over 5kms of sewer network
3. Replacement of all lead and copper communications pipes crossed or otherwise encountered during the construction works and replacement with polyethylene pipe
4. Provision of a combined sewer underneath the bed of the St. Patrick’s Place Culvert on the Bridewell River from New Road along St. Patrick’s Place to Market Quay
5. Removal of combined sewer overflows
Last night’s flooding occurred following heavy rainfall in two low-lying areas in the town, where flooding traditionally occurs first. Completion of the on-going sewer upgrade works will alleviate the issues that arose last night. These works are currently programmed to be completed by the end of the year.
Customer queries should be directed to 1850 278 278 or to @IWCare. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.