18 February 2019 Go back to News
Sewer network to be upgraded in Dublin’s North Docklands
Over €1.3 million investment to upgrade the sewer network in the Dublin’s North Docklands Area
Irish Water, working in partnership with Dublin City Council, is investing over €1.3 million to upgrade the sewer network in the Dublin’s North Docklands Area. This is part of vital infrastructural upgrade works for this Strategic Development Zone (SDZ). GMC Sierra Limited is working on behalf of Irish Water to deliver this project.
Civil works are scheduled to commence in the coming weeks in the Sheriff Street East, Sheriff Street West, New Wapping Street and North Wall Quay area.
The upgrade works carried out as part of this project will:
- Address the structural defects of the sewers
- Reduce the likelihood of sewer collapses and blockages
- Ensure that critical infrastructure is upgraded and maintained
- Enable future growth in this SDZ
- Improve the performance level of the sewer network
As part of the project, we will:
- Undertake CCTV surveys of Victorian brick sewers to determine their condition and the extent of any defects
- Clean the sewer network in order to undertake an accurate inspection and remove any blockages by inappropriate items (e.g. wet wipes, cotton pads, fat, oils and greases etc)
- Rehabilitate man-entry culverts through the installation of pre-fabricated liners to ensure that the structural integrity of this critical infrastructure is maintained
Non-dig technology to be used to reduce impact to locals
Where possible, works will be carried out using non-dig technology to reduce impacts to residents, the general public, businesses, schools and to minimise traffic disruption. Speaking about the upgrades, Hugh Kennedy, Irish Water Capital Programme Coordinator said: “These sewer network upgrades, when completed, will benefit the local community by reducing the risk of sewer collapses and blockages, and improve the performance level of the sewer network. These works represent an investment of over €1.3m by Irish Water in the area. They are essential infrastructure works to facilitate the development of the Dublin Docklands SDZ, and will enable future growth in the area."
“Every effort will be made to minimise the disruption and impact on the local community during the works. For example, we’re using non-dig technology where we can to minimise the footprint of works. Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary sewer improvements may cause and would like to thank local residents and businesses for their patience and cooperation in delivering these essential works which will ensure a more reliable sewer network.”
For more information visit our Project and Plans page.